Skip to main content

Been Reading: The State of the Prisons

Sinead Morrissey was born in Portadown in 1972 and read English and German at Trinity College, Dublin, from which she took her PhD in 2003. In 1990 she received the Patrick Kavanagh Award for Poetry and in 1996 she won an Eric Gregory Award for the manuscript of her first book, There was Fire in Vancouver (Carcanet, 1996). Her second book, Between Here and There (2002) was shortlisted for the T.S. Eliot Award. She lived and worked in Japan and New Zealand and now lives in Northern Ireland, where she has been writer-in-residence at Queen's University, Belfast. Her most recent collection, The State of the Prisons, was a Poetry Book Society Recommendation.

*

From time to time, I'll be leaving notes, comments, and very brief reviews here, regarding collections of poetry I am currently reading - very unofficial and not at all meant to summarize or in fact review at all. The first in this occasional series is The State of the Prisons, by Sinead Morrissey (see above).

I haven't finished the collection - I love to dip and swoon in and out of a poetry book like a ladle into water - but have enjoyed several of the shorter poems, especially. I recognize the poem "In Praise of Salt" from the anthology I edited for Salt (100 Poets Against The War) of course (and wonder where the acknowledgement for that is, but never mind) - but to my mind the three finest poems in the book (so far, for me) are:

"Genetics"
"Migraine"
and
"Zero"

*

Morrissey has a very good way with incorporating the body (or bodies) in to history, and vice versa. She's somewhat famous for her historical, sensuous eye, in fact - she makes inventories you can live with, surveys that vivify old ground. In "Migraine" the Russian hostage stand-off in the theatre we all remember, which ended so badly, begins, for one hostage, with a migraine - their own body taking control of them, doing damage - so you get a Russian doll of pain.

"Genetics" covers what might be already a trope stretched too thin - how many DNA poems can any one actually need? - but has the exceptional last line: "We know our parents make us by our hands" which has something of the lasting quality we expect in the very best poetry written in the Hardy-Larkin line.

"Zero" seems to me to be even better than these seriously good poems, though - a poem that, as far as mainstream Irish and British writing goes, seems destined to be representative of the dates 2000-2010. That it is, it's a poem of the decade. Why?

Well, the conceit is delightful and compact - Alexander is bringing "zero" to the Greeks - and the poem works this out - "this number / no-number would eat the world" - in ways both colourful and intelligent - it's wit on the move. It is also a relief to see someone Irish redeem Alexander after the woeful Colin Farrell murdered the man with his bleached portrait in the eponymous Stone film of late (I loved JFK).

I have just spotted another poem in the book I want to read; "Gobi from the Air".

But, I can be lazy traveller in reading - stopping and starting as I please - so I'll save it for another day. Morrissey's collection is worth the effort required to cross the sands, and is certainly a contender for this year's incoming T.S. Eliot Awards to be held in London.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CLIVE WILMER'S THOM GUNN SELECTED POEMS IS A MUST-READ

THAT HANDSOME MAN  A PERSONAL BRIEF REVIEW BY TODD SWIFT I could lie and claim Larkin, Yeats , or Dylan Thomas most excited me as a young poet, or even Pound or FT Prince - but the truth be told, it was Thom Gunn I first and most loved when I was young. Precisely, I fell in love with his first two collections, written under a formalist, Elizabethan ( Fulke Greville mainly), Yvor Winters triad of influences - uniquely fused with an interest in homerotica, pop culture ( Brando, Elvis , motorcycles). His best poem 'On The Move' is oddly presented here without the quote that began it usually - Man, you gotta go - which I loved. Gunn was - and remains - so thrilling, to me at least, because so odd. His elegance, poise, and intelligence is all about display, about surface - but the surface of a panther, who ripples with strength beneath the skin. With Gunn, you dressed to have sex. Or so I thought.  Because I was queer (I maintain the right to lay claim to that

IQ AND THE POETS - ARE YOU SMART?

When you open your mouth to speak, are you smart?  A funny question from a great song, but also, a good one, when it comes to poets, and poetry. We tend to have a very ambiguous view of intelligence in poetry, one that I'd say is dysfunctional.  Basically, it goes like this: once you are safely dead, it no longer matters how smart you were.  For instance, Auden was smarter than Yeats , but most would still say Yeats is the finer poet; Eliot is clearly highly intelligent, but how much of Larkin 's work required a high IQ?  Meanwhile, poets while alive tend to be celebrated if they are deemed intelligent: Anne Carson, Geoffrey Hill , and Jorie Graham , are all, clearly, very intelligent people, aside from their work as poets.  But who reads Marianne Moore now, or Robert Lowell , smart poets? Or, Pound ?  How smart could Pound be with his madcap views? Less intelligent poets are often more popular.  John Betjeman was not a very smart poet, per se.  What do I mean by smart?

"I have crossed oceans of time to find you..."

In terms of great films about, and of, love, we have Vertigo, In The Mood for Love , and Casablanca , Doctor Zhivago , An Officer and a Gentleman , at the apex; as well as odder, more troubling versions, such as Sophie's Choice and  Silence of the Lambs .  I think my favourite remains Bram Stoker's Dracula , with the great immortal line "I have crossed oceans of time to find you...".