Skip to main content

Eyewear Is Six!


Well, here we are.  Six years on, the little blog that could keeps chugging along.  It's a bit antiquated now, this blogging thing.  Facebook updates, tweets, and god-knows-what-else, all seem to have replaced blogs.  Tin cans and string may be next.  Anyway, I never planned this to last so long, over thousands of posts, many of them from guest bloggers and poets from across the world.

What keeps me going?  Firstly, the world keeps happening, and the news remains fascinating on any given day; secondly, poems and poetry face new perils and new prospects in the face of a technologically-driven society that both welcomes "content" but skews more and more to games and freely-downloaded songs and podcasts.  The media is more and more going for audiovisual content, not text, though texting continues to be attractive.  And poetry, of course, can do audiovisual, when it wants; thirdly, life keeps throwing out its challenges, and I find this a good space to, however obliquely, refer to those, too.  Having faced depression and illness, coping with a variety of other family issues, well, there's a need for expression; fourthly, I like to commemorate the dead, and note their passing, when I can.

Finally, this is the best way I know how to reach and share with other poets and writers, and keep them abreast, in a little way, about what things can get noticed in this bit of England.  Do I love Eyewear?  No, it is a burden.  But it is sometimes fun.  I wish I had more readers and more readers comments; and more time to send out and edit book reviews.  Otherwise, it seems okay.  Can I promise six more years?  No.  Maybe we'll try and make it 7 years.  If you keep looking.

Comments

Poetry Pleases! said…
Dear Todd

Congratulations! Eyewear was one of the first poetry blogs and it's still one of the best. One of the many things I admire about it is your amazing technical skill and computer literacy. As someone who can just about send an e-mail, to me this is computer wizardry of a very high order. Here's to the next six years!

Best wishes from Simon
Padhraig Nolan said…
I still visit regularly, if not daily. My own blogging (and writing in general) is sporadic right now, as much due to offline pressures as online elsewheredness. Facebook may be more communoconvenient, but I value this and other quality blogs, for discovering new poets, living and otherwise, and the occasional tangential titbit from the archives. Happy Anniversary Todd.
David Clarke said…
Happy birthday, Eyewear! Here's to six more years...
Anonymous said…
Dear Todd, I have suspended my blog for the moment after more than three years just for personal reasons, it was a great companion and through it I have communicated with interesting people. Maybe you remember that I had started it by chance reading your blog and wanting to write comments.
I find facebook chaotic and unattractive, after being drawn to it by magazines, editors and friends. I simply can't use it. Maybe blogs are better for people like me who love a simple space to write for people and dislike too much communication and criss-crossing voices called "friends".

Best wishes,
Davide Trame
Ms Baroque said…
Dear Eyewear,

We share a birthday! How can I keep forgetting this important fact. Nearly twins. Here's to the coming year for both of us and all who sail in us,and many happy returns!

Love,

Baroque in Hackney

Popular posts from this blog

CLIVE WILMER'S THOM GUNN SELECTED POEMS IS A MUST-READ

THAT HANDSOME MAN  A PERSONAL BRIEF REVIEW BY TODD SWIFT I could lie and claim Larkin, Yeats , or Dylan Thomas most excited me as a young poet, or even Pound or FT Prince - but the truth be told, it was Thom Gunn I first and most loved when I was young. Precisely, I fell in love with his first two collections, written under a formalist, Elizabethan ( Fulke Greville mainly), Yvor Winters triad of influences - uniquely fused with an interest in homerotica, pop culture ( Brando, Elvis , motorcycles). His best poem 'On The Move' is oddly presented here without the quote that began it usually - Man, you gotta go - which I loved. Gunn was - and remains - so thrilling, to me at least, because so odd. His elegance, poise, and intelligence is all about display, about surface - but the surface of a panther, who ripples with strength beneath the skin. With Gunn, you dressed to have sex. Or so I thought.  Because I was queer (I maintain the right to lay claim to that

IQ AND THE POETS - ARE YOU SMART?

When you open your mouth to speak, are you smart?  A funny question from a great song, but also, a good one, when it comes to poets, and poetry. We tend to have a very ambiguous view of intelligence in poetry, one that I'd say is dysfunctional.  Basically, it goes like this: once you are safely dead, it no longer matters how smart you were.  For instance, Auden was smarter than Yeats , but most would still say Yeats is the finer poet; Eliot is clearly highly intelligent, but how much of Larkin 's work required a high IQ?  Meanwhile, poets while alive tend to be celebrated if they are deemed intelligent: Anne Carson, Geoffrey Hill , and Jorie Graham , are all, clearly, very intelligent people, aside from their work as poets.  But who reads Marianne Moore now, or Robert Lowell , smart poets? Or, Pound ?  How smart could Pound be with his madcap views? Less intelligent poets are often more popular.  John Betjeman was not a very smart poet, per se.  What do I mean by smart?

"I have crossed oceans of time to find you..."

In terms of great films about, and of, love, we have Vertigo, In The Mood for Love , and Casablanca , Doctor Zhivago , An Officer and a Gentleman , at the apex; as well as odder, more troubling versions, such as Sophie's Choice and  Silence of the Lambs .  I think my favourite remains Bram Stoker's Dracula , with the great immortal line "I have crossed oceans of time to find you...".